Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil packs an invigorating, therapeutic punch. It will literally have you feeling sky high after just one deep sniff. I was reminded of this many times over the weekend at Wanderlust Yoga Festival when again and again I kept reaching for this essential oil when I was asked for something uplifting to clear the mind and bring about focus.
You may have drunk a cup of peppermint tea to soothe your digestive system or as an afternoon pick me up. That cup of tea has nothing on this pure Peppermint Essential Oil. 1 drop of Pure Peppermint oil equals 28 cups of Peppermint tea. You often only need 1 or 2 drops for a natural health support that is potent, effective and economical.
Some of the powerful properties of Peppermint essential oil include:
- Pest repellant;
- Uplifting; and
What are some ways that you can use Peppermint I hear you ask? Well, there are plenty of ways this oil can be used…aromatically, topically and internally. Wandering how much oil to use? Check out a recent blog post of mine for details.
- Cupping technique ~ Place a drop in the palm of your hands then cup your hands over your face and inhale deeply. You might do this for:
- An invigorating wake up call either in the morning or through out the day. Keep in your bag or near your desk so it’s handy for when you need that natural pick me up.
- Before exercise to clear your airways and to support your respiratory system.
- Diffuse Peppermint:
~ As an invigorating pick me up in the morning or through the day.
~ During work/study time to help with focus.
~ Freshen and sanitise the air in your home and support the respiratory system at the same time.
We suggest that a carrier oil is used when applying Peppermint topically as this oil can feel quite intense on the skin for some people, especially little ones. Rub 1-2 drops in about a tablespoon of carrier oil for:
- Occasional head and neck tension.
- Clear nasal passages, rub over the bridge of your nose.
- Respiratory system support you can rub over chest and back.
- Digestive system support rub over the stomach area, especially during times of occasional discomfort.
- A cooling effect on the body rub into feet, along spine, on neck and temples.
- Smelly shoes and feet? Add a drop or two to some bicarb powder and place in your shoes OR you can massage a drop or two into your feet with some carrier oil.
- Deter creepy crawlies & a cooling mist ~ make up a spray bottle with 20 drops of Peppermint essential oil to about 1 cup of demineralised water. Spray around door ways and windows internally and if you’re hot you can spray the same mixture over the back of your neck to cool down.
- Occasional stomach upset ~ drinking 1-2 drops in a glass of water can be soothing.
- Mouth wash/breath freshener ~ gargle a drop in a shot glass of water OR simply place a drop of oil under your tongue WARNING this can be quite intense!
- Oil pulling ~Add a drop to your coconut oil.
- Choc peppermint:
~ Add to your favourite chocolate treat/bliss balls for refreshing peppermint kick. If the recipe is raw, even better as you’ll maintain all those therapeutic benefits.
~ Add 1 drop to a raw cacao smoothie.
~ Make a ‘clean/healthy’ Ice Magic dip. 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder, 1 tablespoon coconut oil (gently melted), 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup and 1 drop of Peppermint essential oil. Give it a good stir and pour it over your ‘nIce cream’, coat strawberries/bananas
Peppermint essential oil along with Lavender and Lemon make an effective and completely natural anti histamine, my previous blog has the details on this.
I love using my Peppermint oil before yoga and other exercise to invigorate, energise and clear my airways by simply using the ‘cupping technique’ described above.
When I’m driving long distances I always keep Peppermint essential oil next to me so that I can either just take a sniff right out of the bottle for a pick me up. Or I’ll pull over and use the cupping technique with just a drop of oil to wake me up and help with focus and concentration.
You can also use Peppermint in an after sun spray concoction, Ellen shares this remedy here.
Thank you for being here with me,
For information on how to purchase essential oils, head on over to THIS PAGE.