Top 5 Daily Winter Wellness Tips
We all feel a little dread with the cold and flu season approaching. Well, I used to but I don’t anymore. I’ve now got my daily Winter Wellness routine down pat. All you need is some basic essential oils, a natural body brush and a little bit of space in your home to move around. Here’s my top 5 daily Winter Wellness tips that keep me feeling physically and emotionally well….
Top 5 daily protocols
Lemon water every morning. Why? I use Lemon Essential oil to make my warm lemon water drink first thing in the morning. 1-2 drops in a glass is enough for me. This is a gentle tonic for my gut every morning. Kind of like starting my digestive system’s fire. My kiddies (when in the mood) drink this with me too. You can read about the many other uses for Lemon essential oil here.
Frankincense under my tongue everyday. Why? Frankincense has high anti inflammatory properties. So I choose to place 2 drops of Frankincense under my tongue after my lemon water every morning. My kiddies have a roller ball of Frankincense and they roll it on their temples and behind their neck. You can read about the many uses for Frankincense essential oil here.
A little yoga everyday. Why? Exercise and meditation in one. Yoga gets me moving and it helps me to quieten my mind and focus on myself, my practice, my breath and nothing else. Even if it’s only 10 minutes. This is super important for me as a busy mum of four and running my own business. I often find myself feeling overwhelmed with feelings of not being good enough…I/we need to stop that rubbish. When I’m feeling like I don’t want to stop and meditate because I might explode, Yoga does it for me. It allows me to move through my feelings in a gentle way. For my yoga inspo I head to YogaGlo and I select a class based on the style I want to practice and the amount of time I have available. I quite literally just roll out a mat in my lounge room and I sometimes don’t event get changed. BTW LovEarth yoga mats are my favourite. They’re completely biodegradable and they’re not dyed. So when you’re mat has seen better days, you’ll chop it up and dig it back into Mumma Earth!
Dry skin brushing everyday. Why? Because at this time of the year we tend to slow down, it’s cold and wet so we go outside less and we move around a lot less too. Dry skin brushing helps me with:
- Circulation and I feel that it’s invigorating so I feel good after doing this. If I’m feeling good then I’m not stressed and my body can perform vital functions to heal itself and keep me well.
- Stimulates my lymphatic system and helps eliminates cellular waste.
- All this stimulation and break down of toxins under my skin is said to combat cellulite…YES please.
For all the above reasons, dry skin brushing supports my immune system. So How do I do it?
- Before I get in the shower, I take my body brush and start at my feet. I use long, upward strokes toward my heart for my front and back body. Once I get to my chest area I start from my hands using the same motions toward my heart also. Then I flick my brush from my chest gently toward my neck.
- When I’m out of the shower and dry, I moisturise. At the moment I’m using 2 drops each of Patchouli and Geranium essential oils with pure Jojoba oil. Smells like earthy wet rain (my take on Patchouli) and flowers.
Protective essential oil blend. In me or on me everyday. It’s a blend of Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Leaf and Rosemary Leaf/flower essential oils. Now that it’s Winter I’m more religious with using my OnGuard blend daily to support my immune system. How?
4-5 drops in a diffuser to sanitise the air in my home and support my family’s immune system.
I place 2 drops in about ¼ teaspoon of carrier oil and massage it under my feet and pop some socks on. This can be done morning or night before bed (my favourite time to do this). This is especially important for my kiddies also.
I pop 1-2 drops of Onguard in half a glass of water and I drink it to.
Make Chai Chia Seed pudding. Throw all the following ingredients into a jar. Shut the lid and shake it like you mean it. Let it rest for 5 minutes in the fridge and then shake it like you mean it again. Let is set for about an hour or overnight:
1 cup Milk (I use almond milk)
2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
Dash of maple syrup or sweetner of your choice (not really necessary if you top with fruit)
1-2 drops of Onguard Essential oil blend
Keep it simple
There you have it, my top 5 daily winter wellness tips. Now to make it really simple, just keep your healthy tools where you’ll use them:
- I keep Lemon, Frankincense and On Guard in the kitchen;
- Patchouli and Geranium in the bathroom next to my body brush; and
- My yoga mat stays tucked away where I practice.
If you’ve already got oils, great! You can whip them out and start using them just like I am. If you don’t have any oils yet, email me email@example.com and I can help you source the purest oils on the planet!
Then get yourself a natural body brush and a yoga mat and join me this winter in being proactive with your health care.
Love your oils and want to know more about what I do for work? Send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can make a time to chat.